Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mamma Mia!

I don't plan to give regular reviews here, I'll leave that up to my movie buff friend, Mary Beth, who's mind (like a steel trap) can quote great, classic movie lines all day long. I do, however, have to interject my enthusiastic feelings about Mamma Mia!, the first movie in a long time that has made me laugh from start to finish.

Don't ask me where I've been, but I truly knew not one thing about this movie when we went to see it and was happily surprised to learn it was a musical when the characters first burst into song a few minutes into the plot. Since the music, great 70's Abba tunes, was truly from MY early years (as in junior high, roller-rink), I could really get excited about it. I haven't felt quite this way about a musical since Grease came out when I was in high school.

I forsee taking our kids to the movie, and then all of us dancing around the house singing "Dancing Queen" at the top of our lungs with hairbrushes and vacuum cleaner hoses for microphones. It really was that fun, and although it would definitely be classified as a "chick flick", my husband got some big hee haws out of it, too.

Don't pay any attention to the criticism of Pierce Brosnan's singing...

Poor Pierce Brosnan. The former James Bond gamely tackles Abba in “Mamma Mia!” and critics find more entertainment in trying to describe his singing than in the movie itself.
“[His] singing is the best imitation I’ve heard of a water buffalo.”— David Edelstein, New York magazine
“[A]nyone watching Brosnan in mid-delivery will conclude that he has recently suffered from a series of complex digestive problems, and that the camera has, with unfortunate timing, caught him at the exact moment when he is finally working them out.”—Anthony Lane, The New Yorker
Pierce Brosnan (aka. Remington Steele and James Bond) really doesn't have to sing well to be classed as one of the "sexiest men alive", does he? (Anybody notice how all of these critics are men?)

The setting was phenomenal, I must put the Greek Islands on my "bucket list." Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Dianne MacDonald said...

After hearing your "review", I'm anxious to see it.How great to see a movie that actually makes you feel good when you leave the theater!
Your site is great! I've really enjoyed reading through it. Love the felted hat tutorial.