Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Encouraged


My first art fair turned out to be a fantastic experience for me, extremely fulfilling personally and as an artist. There, I said it, I'm finally starting to believe it (that I AM a fiber artist). A few years ago, I did an online art class with a very fun and inspiring young woman named Suzi Blu. Her funky videos, where she made you feel as if she was right in the room with you, often give a very strong message that everyone can be an artist, so I decided right then that I would embrace that thought.
My incredibly positive artist friend, Marti McGinnis, has taught and inspired me a lot creatively, too. She espouses the concept of focused intentions, whereby you visualize your goals and hold them in your mind (or even literally in a concrete form) until you reach them. Here's a great example of her inspiring and "Happy Art."
Artwork by Marti McGinnis, one of my heroes!
I gave myself permission this past year or so to take more time for creativity, and as I did I realized how incredibly GOOD and right I felt when I was in that "zone," so I chose to do it more and more. The economy has made it more challenging to make money with the farm, so it made sense to try to earn some income with my fiber art as well... and felting has become my true passion.
This first show I was juried into as an "emerging artist" is pretty prestigious, and I was intimidated when I first got to look around at the other booths of top-notch professional artists. Sales started out slowly, but as Saturday went on I kept getting a lot of nice feedback and the sales increased, too! It felt great to have my work admired and to expose people to handmade felt, and I have a new appreciation for the fact that everyone has very different ideas for what is "art", and that's a good thing! Some people would take a glance and walk right by my booth, others would enter excitedly and compliment nearly everything. One woman asked me if I would be interested in having a trunk show for her bank friends, and other potential opportunities arose as well. By the end of Sunday, I had met my sales goal almost exactly to the penny, how cool is that?
Suddenly I have more ideas than ever for new projects and concepts, and I'm investigating other art venues. I'm very grateful for the affirmations of friends, my parents, Mary from Damselfly Gallery who has affirmed me, and others that are encouraging me on this path!
I hope to be scheduling a few classes in July, so check back soon for more information.
Pin It Now!

10 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

You are an artist...an amazing fiber artist. I have enjoyed your creations from afar and I am glad that you are finally realizing it.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Lindy,
Glad you had such a successful show! Mary is a delight to work with and so encouraging!

Deb

Lindy and Paul said...

Thank you very, very much Andrea!

Deb W said...

Two of my co-workers mentioned yesterday that they had been to the show, AND they remembered your wares! One was a poverty-stricken PT student, so no surprise that she couldn't buy anything though... I love the hatband you put on your hats - sets them off wonderfully.

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

So happy for you that this was such a positive experience. Those of us who have known you for a long time know how talented you are and it's great to see others discover your artistic creations!

Clasheen said...

You're only getting the recognition you deserve Lindy, congratulations!!!

Melissa Plank said...

When you're on the right path, you know it! I love your work!

Dutch Hollow said...

You are most definitely a fiber artist! Those are beautifully felted works of art.

Marcie Christensen said...

Lindy, Francisco's Farm Arts Festival was delighted to have you. Your work is absolutely lovely and highly creative.

You were not identified at the show as an 'Emerging Artist' - you fit in perfectly because you are an artist.

I received a comment you'll appreciate from an accomplished artist who visited the show. She said it was the first juried show she had ever visited where she didn't see a single booth that caused her to ask, "I wonder how they got into the show."

You have a wonderful 'artist path' ahead of you, and I'm grateful we could give you the exposure you deserve.

Best,
Marcie

AllyB said...

Congratulations on the success of your first show. Your felted projects are beautiful. I especially like that first photo, very nicely shot.