Thursday, June 16, 2011

Time is my friend!

Felted vase with glass insert
I'll probably be eating these words this time next week when I'm desperately getting ready for the Francisco's Farm Art Festival with lots of last-minute stuff to do, but for now it's all pretty good! Both kids have been at camp this week, the first time that's EVER happened, so I'm really getting to do what I want to do without distractions, trips to town, and other things pulling at my time and creative mindset. (Of course I treasure my kids, and I have had twinges of empty nest foreshadowing for when they get a little older, but still...its great to have a break, especially when I need the "space" right now). After a great riding outing and overnight with friends, I was happy for an entire day of listening to Pandora, without having to share ANY stations! (Listened to Somewhere Over the Rainbow's station ALL day!)
Felted vase (alpaca and other fibers) with glass insert
I feel that this art show has given me a big push to come up with a "critical mass" of work and it's really made me focus, and try to improve, and to truly stretch. I guess that's exactly what the organizers are trying to do by including "emerging artists" like myself. It's made me feel like I really kind of am... an artist!
Wine bottle huggers of wool, alpaca, copper glitz
If it happens to be really hot next weekend, it'll be hard to interest visitors in garments (even the lightweight nuno shawls and scarves), so I've tried to create more true art pieces and functional items. Here's a sampling of some more new stuff!
Wall hangings from Shelby the sheep's lovely locks of wool
I'm already excited to see what tomorrow brings, I've got some newly-dyed silk and merino ready, and will be using some of the gorgeous long Wensleydale locks that I ordered from Namaste Farm as well. At least I stepped out of the turquoise and purple color pallete... for a while anyway!

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Your creations are always breathtaking. Enjoy your week! I know what you mean about not wanting the kids gone but enjoying the time you do get. I can't wait to see how your sales at festival go because I simply adore everything you have shared so far.

Dutch Hollow said...

I love the wine koozie! I think I need to learn how to make one.

Melissa Plank said...

Your work is wonderful, good luck with your art show, you've created some great pieces!

Voie de Vie said...

I love the blue/green/turquoise zone. :)

Good luck with the festival next week!

Melissa said...

Oh I think you can truely say, I am an Artist! You should have no doubt.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

Spinster Beth said...

Love the flower vase :-)

Kathryn Ray said...

Good luck at the art show. I hope you do well. Your pieces are fantastic!

AllyB said...

Best of luck with your show. Your pieces are very nice and I think the wall hanging of locks is awesome. Thank you for your compliment on my blog header. Those are some of my very first handspun yarns. I'll probably never knit anything with them since they look so good the way they are.

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

You ARE an artist! Hope the festival goes well - I think your idea of having goodies that are warm-weather friendly is really important.

sarah in the woods said...

Lindy, Looking through your pictures, I recognized the nuno scarf with the wensleydale locks and realized that I talked to you at the KY Fiber Festival. How fun to find your blog!