Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Country Mice and City Mice

As much as I LOVE and appreciate our farm, it's nice to get away sometimes and go to the big city.  In this case, our daughter and I went with her good friend and her parents to one of our favorite places, Chicago, during spring break.  Wow, did we ever pack a lot into our time there!

SkyDeck on the 103rd Floor of the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower, tallest building in the Western Hemisphere!
One of my new favorite places EVER, the Art Institute of Chicago.  I will never again visit Chicago without going back there.  It makes me giddy just to remember the inspiration of it, SO many wonderful impressionist pieces (TONS of Monet's, and this favorite Seurat, above).
  The Picasso exhibit was happening, I highly recommend a trip to Chicago just for that.  Even if you don't think you "like" Picasso, the exhibit was fascinating and highlighted his prolific artistic life.  He created up to 3 paintings per day at times, and took up ceramic sculpture in his 80's and 90's.  

The modern art there was awe-inspiring as well (Diego Rivera and Georgia O'Keefe and Jackson Pollack to name a few!), and I want to return for more of the modern wing and also to visit Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art. 
This was an interesting 3-dimensional piece that "spoke" to me, I had to learn more about it's creator, Lee Bontecou, and am eager to devour the books about her and Picasso that I just received.
My girl loves to travel, I am so lucky to have an adventurous daughter like her to keep me young!  We loved going to the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the Hancock Building to watch the sunset.

On top of these highlights, we also went to the Shedd Aquarium (very crowded but the girls LOVED it!), Lincoln Park Zoo, Chinatown, sightseeing on The Magnificent Mile, dinners at Giordano's, Cheesecake Factory, and Bubba Gump at the Navy Pier.  We walked through Millenium Park, enjoying the beautiful giant reflective sculpture, "The Bean" and had great shopping at Crate and Barrel, Watertower Place, and more!






And now, spring has arrived back at the farm and there is nowhere else I'd rather be, right here, right now, with memories of this wonderful trip floating through my imagination!  Watch for spring farm photos in the coming days, and check out some of my photography and fiber art on my new website, www.lindyhuber.com 



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Terriea Kwong said...

A fabulous trip with beautiful girls. Thanks for sharing and taking us to the fascinatig city. All stunning and wonderful I can see.