Sunday, March 8, 2009

Like a bee to a bloom?

I have been drawn to bright colors lately, the same way the honeybees were in a frenzy around the crocuses that had popped up in our yard. (Can you see the pollen on the one bee's back- I wonder how far the hive is to which he'll carry it?). We all seem to need a little extra color this time of year. The brightness of the purple against brown soil and dull leaves truly warmed the cockles of my heart, and it soared even higher when I spotted a few daffodils actually blooming this morning! One of the best investments I ever made in time (and money) was planting hundreds of daffodil bulbs around our property, beginning many years ago. They spread a little every year, and give me immeasurable joy.
The crocuses were planted by a woman who lived here and "nannied" for Robert for a short while about 14 years ago, when he was a baby (I couldn't handle that for long, and finally found a way to quit work and stay at home with Robert). She put out just a few bulbs one fall, and every spring I am reminded of her as the crocuses have spread to completely new areas of the yard. I always imagine that many decades will pass and someone may wonder about who planted my daffodils? Hopefully, someone will still be enjoying them into the next century! Perhaps it will even be grandchildren or great-grandchildren. Whomever it may be, I hope that they treasure this piece of heaven as much as we do!
Pin It Now!

No comments: