Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Love and Poetry

Last month, I came across the following Wendell Berry poem in Oprah Magazine, of all places! I adore this world-renowned and prolific Kentucky writer, and was thrilled to attend a poetry reading and book signing that he did at Transylvania University a few weeks ago. Wendell Berry is the author of one of my favorite Book Club books, The Memory of Old Jack, and I look forward to working my way through many more of his writings.

Before I even saw who the author of the poem was, I thought immediately of my sweet hubby and I living in our tiny cabin when we first got married, 19 years ago today! When Paul's parents saw the farm for the first time, his mom exclaimed, "You'll never end up with a woman here- you'll be a lonely old hermit!" When I drew the picture above and gave it to Paul on his birthday, I didn’t yet know that exactly a year later we would be newlyweds and I’d be moving in to the cabin with him.

How joyful to be together, alone
as when we were first joined in our little house by the river
long ago, except now we know

each other, as we did not then;
and now instead of two stories fumbling
to meet, we belong to one story
that the two, joining, made. And now

we touch each other with the tenderness
of mortals, who know themselves.


Wendell Berry, from “The Blue Robe”
Most of my life’s highlights have occurred since our marriage began, too many to cite here, and I now know that the best thing that ever happened to me was meeting and marrying Paul! We have had some great times and challenges as well.... Perhaps the fun has just begun…. I have a feeling that there will be many more adventures in our marriage and in our newer home by the river. Happy Anniversary! Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Dianne MacDonald said...

Lovely post, Lindy. I'm sure Paul knows he has a treasure in you. Happy Anniversary to you both.
I saw the Wendell Berry poem in Oprah also. So good to see a favorite Kentuckian get good press!